The mail came yesterday, and with it, two bright red envelopes addressed to each of the boys. They were mailed by my parents. Yes, my parents. Plural. I have two now. I lost one. I mourned one. Now...I'm back to two. Surprise #1.
Also worth noting, they were mailed two days after their wedding. She had the time and energy to think to buy and mail Valentines to my kids within 48 hours of a wonderful, but exhausting, event. Surprise #2.
Upon reading the sweet Valentines to my two sons, I noted the signature. Love, Papa and Nana. Surprise #3.
I hadn't realized how great a void has been left in our lives by the lack of a maternal grandmother. I mourn my mother's loss, but I hadn't let myself dwell on the far-reaching effects of that loss to my own children. We have a wonderful paternal "Grammie" who lavishes love and delight upon our children, but that's all they have ever known, and truly, all I ever expected them to know. Who could ask for more?
But God gives lavishly, and now, my boys are enjoying the love and delight of a Nana as well.
I still find it hard to believe that she WANTS to take on the love and attention of four more grandchildren when she has such a wonderful batch of her own blood kin to cherish, and yet, she really seems to want us as her own.
My children really will get to enjoy a maternal grandmother, for the very first time.
I'm thrilled, delighted and touched. I just never expected it.
"Surprised by joy" really sums it up.
Worth reading: What Papa himself has to say on the subject of joy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm all misty! I'm very happy for you and your boys. Your dad has chosen wisely and I'm glad he's not the only one who gets to benefit from it!
I totally cried. (I'm such a softie!) I'm nominating that post for 'best, most beautiful post of the year' in the blogging Academy Awards.
Post a Comment